Saturday, January 22, 2011

Did you change or was it me?





Bruce Hager
Reflection #1
2-13-2011
Did you change or was it me?  I hate to say it but this happened with one of my two Angels I have in my class.  Angel Martinez is a bright and wonderful student.  Angel M.  does all of his work, he in fact is always the first one done with his work.  Angel M. excels in all he does. 
Now then there is my Angel Gutierrez.  I never said the words bump on a log but am woefully ashamed to have thought them. The simplest conversations have been so difficult.  Everything has been a struggle.  I think it was me that gave up on him first.  Oh yes, I have been polite and kind and made an effort to smile but my expectations of Angel G. dwindled quickly.  I surrendered and just prayed that if he could survive so could I.
In class we had a fun discussion on rocks. I pulled out a “wishing stone.”  A rock with a circle completely around it.  It is said to take your finger and trace around the stone to make a wish. The very next day Angel G. thrust his journal into my hand and told me to read. Half heartedly I read.  I picked out meaningful words and could see he writing about the wishing rock. He was communicating and I was enjoying his success.  He was changing and so was I.

No comments:

Post a Comment