Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Second Grader and Me.

Bruce Hager
REFLECTION #2

I was walking into the mortuary and wondered if I had made the proper wardrobe choice.  Everyone was dressed in dark grays and blacks.  The women were dressed in blacks as well.  There I was dressed in a red v-necked sweater and khaki slacks.  Of course I have several suits to choose from but my choice was to wear what I had on. Upon entering all I saw were grown-ups everywhere. I felt awkward and uncomfortable but proceeded into the gigantic room.  Then there she was my 2nd grade student in a pretty ruffled white dress.  We saw each other at the same instant.  She ran and embraced me as I bent over to receive her outstretched arms.  She smiled amid her tear stained cheeks and exclaimed her joy in seeing me.  She took me by the hand and never left my side.  We did not stay in the formal line.  Sasha pulled me in and out of people as she introduced me as her teacher: Mr. Hager.  Grandparents, aunts, uncles and concerned grown ups smiled and warmly shook my hand. I was greeted and welcomed by all I encountered.  Then we walked by the coffin where Sasha’s father’s young body lay in the casket. Not a word was said by Sasha or myself. I knew that this man had not seen Sierra in two years, had not sent a Christmas present, no birthday cards nor had even made a phone call.  
A tragic accident had taken his life but for me there was a greater tragedy that had taken place while he was alive. I put that aside and stayed in the present.  We sat in big chairs in the foyer. It was just my student and me.  My second grader and me. The role of a teacher is not well defined but for me on that evening my role as a teacher was very clear and precious to me. I had never felt more valued, cherished and loved.  I was important to one 7 year old student. That means everything to me.

1 comment:

  1. Bruce, my dear friend, it is a true blessing that you decided to become a teacher. Thank you for sharing this story of "being there" for one of your little ones, it brought tears to my eyes. The thing is, I know that you are "there" for all of them. You, my friend, are one in a million. . . . Cathie

    ReplyDelete