Friday, January 28, 2011

Remember to teach with respect and dignity


I have a math mapping class that was billed as being lots of fun.  I was told that I would be getting so much information and that it would be helpful.   I was lost with the new math book: the excessive amount of teacher manuals and the online teacher helps.  I felt this class was just what I need.
I MADE sure to sign up for the class.  I also knew that I was going to do the ESL endorsement.  My closest friend and team member told me that I would regret doing so much but I ignored her. I wanted the information.
The teacher is young...I mean young!  She has been teaching for 6 years and I estimate that she may be 27 or 28. She has an arrogance that consumes the room.  Literally we go into her sterile classroom at 4:30 sharp and are held captive until 7:30 PM.  We sit in the same desks as her second grade students.  Each time we go to class we turn in our reflection papers and then sit as she overloads us with tons of paperwork.  She reads to us for three hours straight. She reads and we turn pages. 
Sadly the room is filled with wonderful teachers that would be a bevy of experience and knowledge.  She does not allow any sharing, co-mingling of ideas, any movement, or group discussions. This instructor has used the word “retarded” in referring to blunders of students, she has put down men (my own personal ax to grind), she has shushed me directly and will stand and stare at the professional teachers attending this class and say “my turn” when some one does talk to a neighbor.
   The #1 thing that I HAVE learned is to teach any and all people of any age with respect and dignity.  I pray that I may always remember do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment